Monday, March 03, 2008

The Expat Life

Living like expats in Russia. What a dream! lovely boulevards. Tasty food. Glamorous people. Fantastic museums. Amazing architecture. Does this sound like Russia? Oh, and the internet cafe spellcheck it seems is configured to the Russian language so every English word I'm typing is incorrect and therefore my true limitations in my own language are being exposed with every word. Fogive me. understand me. I'm being charged by the bitmat!

Our journey here a few days ago was intense. We have put our babes through a lot. Truly it was normal, all the waiting around, lack of sleep, decline in regular food and drink. I'm amazed by their resilence and ability to find ways of having fun when the adults around them become increasingly annoyed. Ahhh. . . childhood! I know 12 years from now, were we to put Zoe through this, she may very well chew us up and spit us out -- but as it is she only has had occasional moments of contempt for her adoring family and has very much enjoyed running and exploring.

Don't have pictures to post. Wouldn't know how to work that here anyway. I've left Nate&babes in the hotel room and ventured out solo (I speak no Russian) but feel completely confident in moving around Barnaul which is a city in Siberia.

We leave tomorrow for our farming village (Podosonovo) and I hopehopehope thar I love it or at least find something to ultimately love before our 3months are up and we're on to Kazakhstan. So far I feel quite different from my previous visits to Russia. I'm a little kinder on the environment and a lot more excited. It's been over 5 years after all since I've traveled internationally. I'm ready to embrace anything foreign.

We attended church yesterday. Missionaries abroad are always so eager the help. Blessed youth! We received permission to conduct services at home as we'll be too far away to come to church (at all). :(

Hope to post again soon. Wish me luck on expanding my mono-lingual universe.

luvluvluv

11 comments:

Kendra Leigh said...

oooohhh! Please post as often as you can- even without photos. Your view on life is so nice and I look forward to joining your "adventure" (if you want to call it that) through your words. Love you!!

Principal in Queens said...

Good luck! I look forward to hearing more-- I'd love nothing more than to be in the Russian countryside for a good long time. But I don't think it will ever happen, so I'll live through you :)

Jessica said...

you're alive!!! I was so excited to see a new post when I clicked over. And I'm so sorry I didn't get to say good-bye last Sunday. I was totally sick.

Anyway, good to hear you survived the trek.

missing you!

n8 said...

Best of luck guys! We are looking forward to hearing about the adventures.
I don't know if I have told you guys this, but you ROCK! What an awesome experience!

Reagan said...

Hey! I'm sorry I never got you my friend's email, or got to say goodbye. I can't believe it came so fast! You are so loved back home and we can't wait for you to come back!!

Natasha said...

I was just checking your blog to see how you were doing things technically. Too bad I didn't pick your brain more when you were here in our home! I'm so glad you are able to post. Miss you much. "Top of the Roof" Preschool is quite different without you. oxoxoxxo

Marci said...

I'm really glad that you got a chance to post. We miss you and will look forward to hearing from you as often as possible!

Miggy said...

Hey I'm a little late on the comment train, but so good to hear from your little family! So exciting...we miss you guys. Have fun adventuring!

Mike, Jess, Elijah, Julia and Amelie said...

Wow - we wish you all the best. Enjoy the adventure!

May! said...

I miss you SO much! I headed up to the Inwood Chapel to attend the Easter concert and the sacredness of the occasion and nostalgia really got to me.

I'm glad to be reading lots of you lately. Keep it up!

XOXO

Jones Family said...

can't tell you how reading all your posts after our first week or so here warmed my heart!

wordwordswords -- feeling the love!

it was sure hard to leave mycitymypeople and adjust to this stark place (jamie are you serious!?) but i'm trying to appreciate the wonders and as i do russia seems to be slowly growing on me :::gulp:::