Sunday, July 27, 2008

Desi Candor

I wanna see Zoe's cute face.

In a whinny voice Des asks, "Mom when can we go back to New York? I want some strawberries." There have been several other berries (raspberries, gooseberries, johannesberries, etc.) that we've been feasting on, for less than a dollar a pound (!) But, the spoiled little boy, really only wanted some strawberries. Point NY. Later that night a new friend paid us a visit and brought some melt-in-your-mouth strawberries from her grandmothers garden! They were most delicious! Point KZ!

"Look what I have in my hand!" He had gone to find Zoe, who had strayed out of site at the playground, and was returning holding her hand.

Dad? Can you give me the telephone? I need to call Heidi.

As Desi wrapped his arms around my neck, he grabbed a handful of my hair and said, "Your hair is solid!"

Des is always talking about when he turns five and the things he's confident he will be able to do. Most of all he's obsessed with the prospect of somehow having the means and capacity to go shopping and buy everything he wants for himself and others. He's constantly negotiating with Zoe on the basis of buying her whatever she wants, "Zoe, wait! Wait! Do you want a toy? I'll buy you a toy when I'm five!" And sometimes he'll throw in, "And I'll get you your own room!" He makes these promises regularly and she's usually consoled by them. The other day was the best when he confidently, earnestly told her, "When I turn 5, i'm going to buy you a pink stroller with butterflies, ballerinas and hopping frogs on it!"

"Heidi is the bestest, bestest toy!" As mentioned above, he obsesses about toys and this is perhaps the highest complement on his love index – being equated with a toy.

Mom, when it's my birthday at Russia, I'd really like to go back to New York.

Do you want to be a glove?

I'm doing work so no one frustrate me!

Look! I drew a map of the whole wide world of Africa!

I wanna figure out stuff with birds – see the birds, I wanna be a bird! I'm gonna climb the roof – would that be bad? Why?

Desi woke one morning after a troubling dream. He told me a bit about it and after listening I began to question him. He was quickly losing the memory of his dream and couldn't answer my questions, so finally, a little annoyed, he replied, "It's just a dream for heaven sakes!"

"Oh! My kisses that Heidi gave me are still in my pocket!" At the airport in NYC, when we were saying goodbye almost 5months ago, Auntie Heidi tucked into his pockets several special kisses to keep so he could have them in Russia/KZ when he missed her.

While playing with the phone, Desi says, "I called for a McDonalds meal Zoe, for when we go back to New York!"

I'm messy – I'm a messy human.

You're my friend Zoe.

1 comment:

SmithDish said...

Oh man!.... I'm missing Desi miss Heidi!!! Won't you let that poor kid go back to NY and get a Damn Happy Meal with his favorite aunt Heidi! Hee Hee Just kidding. I love hearing of your experiences thank you thank you for sharing. I updated my blog thought maybe you could read my short writings and such. Wish I was as great as you at all that. But honestly I am missing you now can you come back to New York so you are not so far away and I don't feel silly talking to you about frivolous things such as Edward and vampires:) Love you friend Laurie