Wednesday, August 01, 2007

A Memory

Ingmar Bergman died this week. One of the first films I saw of his was "The Virgin Spring". It was on late night cable television and I happened to be visiting my Grandpa Riggs in Las Vegas. I was laying beside him on his firm, king sized bed. I didn't know anything about the film or Bergman but as we were clicking around there was something about it that made me ask Gpa to stop.

Before we got half way through the film I was writhing on the bed completely worked up and taken over -- it was such a heartbreaking film! I can't remember ever being so emotionally rattled and my Grandpa lay there peacefully, contentedly -- totally unaffected!

I finally cried out, "Grandpa! This is so sad, so horrible!! These poor people!!" I think I was probably crying.

Grandpa looked over at me, eyebrow cocked, and in his deep voice said, "It's just a movie dear."

3 comments:

Michael, Heidi, Eden, and Lyla said...

Ahhh.. that sounds just like grandpa. :) Always calling us "Dear". :)

M said...

Cool to see how affected you were by something, even so young! I still love movies like that and I do get all worked up. You've got to rent the "Best of Youth" which is actually an Italian miniseries. It's not Ingmar Bergman, but it is one of the best films I've seen in a long time and worth getting worked up over.

Jones Family said...

heidi -- hooray!! was hoping you'd post a comment someday. please continue voicing yourself here. have you thought about a blog-of-your-own? hmmmmm...

mara -- i always love your film recommendations! thanks i'm gonna look it up soon. sorry we missed you on tues. nates parents are here with us.