Sunday, August 12, 2007

Desi Candor

I was saying a prayer because Grandma and Grandpa left and I’m so sad about Grandma and Grandpa leaving.

After a big bear hug Des says breathlessly, “Mom, I almost got hug-sick.” I asked him what that was. “It’s when someone hugs you too tight and you throw up in their arms.”

Its ok, it’s ok. Big brother is here. Its ok, it’s ok.

Dad lets go shave.

My ninja guy doesn’t like our apartment very much – he likes Heidi’s best. I should have left him at Heidi’s.

You look like hot sauce.

"Mommy? What temple will I marry Lexi in?" Playing along I mentioned a few on the east and a few on the west coasts. He was thoughtful and said, “Maybe I can marry Lexi in the North Pole Temple”.

Do you love me Zo?


When I go to Jesus’ place I think he’s gonna show me off!

Zoe you’re naughty.

I was dreaming about something unusual happening.

Me: ahhhhoooohhh… Zoe! You need to pick these things up!
Des: What does Zoe need to pick up?
Me: These things on the floor
Des: Don’t worry, I can pick them up!

Mommy my spoon broke. Spoon overboard!

A girl with ponytails in her hair is poking me! (
Zoe)

When I go marry Lexi in the temple, I’ll bring my beverage just in case.

Me: What did you have for lunch today?
Des: Nothing
Me: Dad didn’t fix you anything?
Des: No
Me: I want to know so I don’t make the same thing again tonight because I’m thinking about Mac-n-… (then I fell silent thinking I’d revealed too much)
Des: (Catching on) We had . . . peanut butter sandwiches
Me: Are you sure? (Feeling dubious)
Des: Yeah
Me: I’m going to ask Dad. What do you think he’ll say?
Des: Ummmmm… Mac-n-Chz!

Wouldn’t it be funny if we lived in a shoe?


I’m pretending to be a naked bad guy – the Hulk!

Zoe? Are you leading the way?

Des sometimes likes to pretend he’s a baby. One afternoon after repeated ear-razing “waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa” phony baby cries, I was really getting annoyed. But before I could act, he came into my line of vision with the loveliest smile and said, “Baby want mommy” and threw his arms open. Ahhhhh… heart melting.

Des: Mommy, can I go potty for just a sec?
Me: Mmmmhmmm.
Des: Thank you, mommy!

We’d been reading a story about a family going grocery shopping and one of the children after repeated antics was warned about getting a spanking if she didn’t stop misbehaving. Des finally asked, “Is spanking hot sauce?” I chuckled and replied that it wasn't. He continued, “Is it spicy? What is spanking?” Lest he try it on Zoe, I explained it was a punishment and left it at that.

"That’s a good one Charlie!" After our friend Charlie just climbed the walls.

Zoe you’re a sweetheart

2 comments:

M said...

Oh Heather--these made me laugh so hard! Sometimes you just have to wonder at the thoughts that must be clanging around in his little brain! Thomas came up next to me while I was reading and said, "Is there something funny with Desi?" Before I could answer, though, he said, "I just wish I could play with him." :)

LeolaniNYC said...

i loved desi's words and loved charlie climbing the wall. that is an awesome talent. he could easily work at the polynesian cultural center climbing the coconut trees.