Monday, April 23, 2007

Various & Sundry

Trying to inch in more pics -- I know my devoutdevout readers really click over for them. Currently, I'm blogging indulgently in poetry. Other thoughts, other passions.

We're nearing the end of the alphabet in our Le Petite Academy. We did "Xx" last week. Tough letter but came across some good curriculum on poison awareness so we had Xavier the Poison Control pirate visit and talk to the preschoolers about those harmful things we mustn't touch or put in our mouths. They did a worksheet on identifying them and then Nate (When it's our turn in the co-op, I plan the curriculum and he teaches) & Xavier the X took them on a little tour and they x'd out the poisonous things under our sink. In a weeks time we'll be doing "Zz" We're not sure if we'll do summer preschool yet... This pic is from the letter "Vv" -- a nice little experiment in volcano making -- not sure which is scarier, the volcano or DPJ's voracious mouth.

This is a great pic of Zoe and Des finding delight in their reflection on one of my pan lids. I love how children consistently demonstrate delight in the small things -- marveling in the minute. They were silly and giggly for 15minutes.


Zoe has begun to prefer sitting at table rather than the highchair, she's so pleased with herself, esp. now that she's figured out how not to fall off. This is a pic of her and Des at table together --in the same chair. She's not so happy about it, but I grabbed the camera to get a rare side-by-side photo of them. Hard to do these days, as ZDKJ is quite intolerant of DPJ encroaching on her space.


New Yorkers are beyond thrilled that the weather has adjusted to more Spring-like temperatures and I'm elated that I can now dress mylittlegirl in sundresses and jumpers. Here's one outfit, circa Zoe-in-embryo purchase, that my mom picked up for size 24months. It's such a classic girlie-girl outfit, which reminds me of the clothes my sisters and I were dressed in. I put this on her and caught my breath as see seemed to be one of us and all of us, in the flesh, before my eyes. I love these moments were I feel she connects with us and is the continuation of us. My brown eyed girl . . . though she trumps us all on the dimples. I LOVE HER!

I'm happy to report that potty training has commenced for DesmondPJones -- just 2-3 weeks ago (Des is almost 3.5 yrs old). We started with mornings only in "big boy underwear" which resulted, after a few days, with him, when in diapers, running to the potty anyway and struggling to get the diaper down. After a few days of this wrestling he resorted to asking us, "Am I wearing my bigboyunderwear or a diaper?" If the answer was the latter, he'd stand still and smile. So, I soon realized we'd better get more underwear (we were operating with just 4 spiderman briefs) and phase into all day, which was scary for many reason but namely because of the 1.5 hour train ride he takes nearly every day.

He's been 100% daytime since last Wednesday and forgetful me has even put him to bed without a diaper on and the bed has been dry on all occasions in the a.m. I thought that night training would be the Mt. Everest of the potty training experience (it was for my parents with me!) but so far his bladder seems to be out of commission when sleeping. Yes, there have been some accidents (this Sunday at church, most recent) those are a given, but for the most part, I am feeling very good about how natural this all seems to him and us. Happy about that. I desperately wanted to avoid willful anti-potty battles and indifference to urine all over everything.

Zoe had to get in on the underwear action -- Des appreciates a good laugh.









This is the belated formal pic of Easter dress-up due to weather being more friendly this last Sunday. Love these babes in my life!!




More Pics HERE ( various march)

No comments: