Sunday, January 21, 2007

Christmas in Utah - Part 2

Finally a family pic that is somewhat formal -- thanks Dad. We spent an entire morning setting up and dressing up for family pictures. What an excercise! My Dad is a great photographer, but I don't think he's very fond of taking these types of portraits.

Des was able to unwrap some belated bday gifts at Grammys. Zoe is seen here trying to get in on the action. Des loved his big Noahs ark
When my sister Holly arrived we launched into our Christmas craft. Heidi had the idea of updating our Christmas stockings. For years we used these felt stockings that my mom lovingly made as each of us were born. They have since scattered as we've moved away. Mom found some giant sized stockings, big enough to fit Zoe into (where's that photo?) We got some felt and pompoms and Holly brought copious amounts from her school supplies. It was funfunfun to watch everyone create.

Here are the results.









This was the setting on our Christmas morning in Cedar City. Lovely. My parents have dramatically restored their 100+ year old house and, for almost a decade, operated a bed&breakfast, The Garden Cottage. Among the other upgrades and perks, one of my favorites is that we no longer need to share a bathroom! We each have our own in our former rooms. Though the timing is all wrong, life would have been so much easier if that had been the case 15 years ago!

Here's Zoe with her sweet Grammy. Notice any resemblance? Zoe was waking every morning around 5am. I would try and nurse her for another hour and then carry her downstairs to Grammy&Grampy's room for some one-on-one early morning time sans Mommy. We all learned quickly that Zoe was much more social if I disappeared. We never figured out the trick for Des though. Little stinker!


After a terrific snowstorm and a few days since the worst of Desi's flu had passed, we decided it was time for the long awaited sledding experience!! (So, why does Des look like he's about to fall asleep in this pic?) Des had long been looking forward to sledding for the first time "like Caillou does" and I told him there would be snow in Utah! I tracked down some snow boots (which was uncommonly hard to do in this snowy city!!!), mysisters got the gear, Grampy picked the site, we bundled up magnificantly and we were set. At home in the snow.

Here we are more lively trudging up the hill. Des didn't like that part.

Me with two of my sisters, Heidi and Hailey.
Hailey's a dedicated pro when it comes to *all* outdoor sports and she's got the doctor bills to prove it!



Hailey coaching Des on technique.
Heidi and I are just in it for the pics.











This doesn't look like a Christmas dinner shot (anyone have it?) but nevertheless must comment somewhere on the FOOD. I have these wonderful memories of visiting my Grandparents in Las Vegas and once we'd settled in the first order of business was always food. What shall we eat? Ideas were shared, lists were made, grocery shopping was done, cooking commenced. Fond memories. I LOVE that food can be so much a part of a family's experience. I likd that everyone got involved at my Grandparents. I remember often trying to convince everyone to get Kentuky Fried Chicken for the take-out night. :) That was yummy.

Anyway, I look forward to more gatherings with my sisters boyfriends. I've always been impressed with guys who cook. My sisters have made good matches in that regard, among their many other fine qualities. Chris is a natural, Randy is a champ, and Zach cooks with a flourish! I look forward to more gatherings with my sisters and the swifty-in-the-kitchen men in their lives. Can you tell I'm the only one lacking a foodie for a partner? Well, Jones appreciates beautiful food but he doesn't have the time to willingly cook! Boohoo...

Mom impressed me with all her signature meals readymade and waiting in the freezer. It's nice to come home and enjoy all these nostalgic dishes, especially when your eating them again with all those you've shared the memories with.

No comments: