Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Desi Candor II

I’ve gotten an overwhelming response from you regular familyjonesblog readers regarding this segment (perhaps the only good thing to come out of the loss of my camera) so I thought I’d make this a regular on the blog.

After giving DPJ one of those ‘yournamehere’ creditcards that come in the mail, he promptly bent it out-of-shape and came to me dramatically and said, “My card is ruined! Mamma hold me!”

We spent the day with some friends on 181st St. My friend Guadalupe and two toddlers, Kayden and Ruby. I like to go over the things we did and the people we spent time with at the end of the day -- so I was saying what a nice woman my friend Guadalupe was and Desi repeated, “Lupe nice woman.” Then he paused. “Mamma nice woman… mamma nice girl… mamma big woman!”

Desi came to me one afternoon and asked for a drink. I repeated the request as I usually do by saying, “I want a drink PLEASE mamma” to which he replied, “I want a drink NOW mamma.” ‘Now’ is his new favorite replacement for that old tired word ‘Please’.

During our morning routine of raising of the shades in the bedroom and greeting the city with a “good morning New York!” We noticed the weather was gray and rainy and Desi commented, “its snoring outside!” (As in the song, “it’s raining, it’s pouring, the old man is snoring”.)

Tonight I asked Des if he was ready for dinner and he responded, “I wanna be a robot first”.

We were watching a children’s program about a cat and his little boy owner and Des turns to me and says, “Sometimes I have a kitty in my house? When I grow up? Big & strong like mamma&dadda grown up?

“I have pizza last year?” He actually meant to say, I think, last week. He’s been trying out many phrases having to do with time.

Desi and I were under the covers creating a cave. He introduced a couple of hangers he’d found as edible presents – so there we were gnawing on hangers in the dark when I finally said mine was “almost gone”. He smacked his lips for a few seconds and said, “Mine’s almost more.”

“I was crying two weeks”

“BabyZoe is a baby? Soft baby? Lovely baby?” I agreed and he went cheering, both arms in the air, out of the bedroom saying, “Lovely baby!!”

I walked into the bedroom one afternoon to see Des silently looking outside the bedroom window. I asked him what he was doing and he replied, “I’m hanging up”. As opposed to I’m hanging out, I suppose.

No comments: