Tuesday, May 12, 2009

All I do is stare at the calendar

PakahPakah-KZ-countdown is:


- 2 more mondays

- 2 hot&steamy banya sessions

- 2 in-home sacrament meetings

- 2 more hand-wringing laundry sessions (!)

- 1 more borst night (I’m the only fan)

- 1 more trip to the catholicchurch for a roll on the lawn and tearful goodbyes

- several more evenings watching the cows come home

- 4-5 more excursions to the steppe to watch mybabes chase the sunset!


Also, it looks like we’ll return to NYC and I’m stunned . . . can it be? I’ve wanted it so much! Nathan received a writing fellowship and though he’s a little torn about returning to a life of DEBT he emailed his acceptance. Honestly he would love to stay – he’s applied for a few jobs/fellowships here in KZ and Kyrgyzstan. Before I can even entertain such notions I must get HOME first.


AGREED?


Funny story: the Department of Education here in the Pavlodar oblast (i.e. state) called to speak with Nathan about working for them. They asked some questions about the different classes he’s taken and taught over the years. He explained his research and his anticipated anthropology degree. They asked about my work as well. Then the woman said she’d call back – and just a couple of hours later she called to announce, “The Department of Education would like to offer you a job teaching biology next term.” Nathan had to stifle a laugh and explain that he absolutely could NOT teach biology. The woman countered that surely he’d taken biology classes (yeah, undergrad, over a decade ago!) when Nathan convinced her that he couldn’t teach she then asked, “Well, can your wife teach biology then?” Oh boy.


Moving on.

6 comments:

Amira said...

I just wanted to leave a comment after reading through your blog a few days ago. I can't tell you how much my husband and I enjoyed reading about your experiences. My husband taught law in Bishkek as a Fulbright a few years ago (Jyldyz was baptized a few months after we left). We very much hope that we can get back to Central Asia soon because we both love it. But I can completely remember the feeling of just wanting to get home for a little while.

And I have to say, after reading through your blog, that there aren't a lot of American women who would do what you have done over the last year or two. What an amazing and difficult opportunity.

Andrea, the little collector said...

Yeah!!! Jones family in NYC again. Hallelujah!

p.s. When I was getting evaluated for my teaching license in the city I had to fight pretty hard to make sure my license was for dance (my major) and NOT biology (my nearly-forgotten minor)!!! Is there a world-wide shortage???

Amy said...

I can't wait to see you and your family! Make sure I get to, k :)

merebuff said...

Leaving your temporary foreign home to go to a real home...sigh...I love being a traveller/wanderer, but the best part is always returning home. In KZ and NYC, you are always such an inspiration to me!

Michael, Heidi, Eden, and Lyla said...

I can't wait sister! I day dream about seeing you guys get off the plane and whether or not I will recognize you and the babes! ha ha :) the answer is OF COURSE I WILL! :) But I just can't wait to take you home with me so you can take a nice hot LONG shower- wash your cloths in my washer and dryer... load our dirty dishes in the dishwasher... and frolic in my freshly mowed lawn. I can't wait to spoil you with these luxuries and lots of hugs and kisses... and maybe a pinch or two, just to see if it is really happening! :) LOL
Miss you lots!

SmithDish said...

Get you butts home!!!!! :)