Monday, December 15, 2008

Because the neighbors are doing it

It's below freezing and I'm still left with loads of laundry each week, which I can only wash outside. Well, I do it in the shelter of the banya house but it's not kept heated.

I have to light the fire myself to get the water hot in the tank. I also bring in extra buckets and have them warming on the side with a little twisty metal plug-in heater -- it sends shock waves to speed up the electrolytes in the H2O (is that correct science?) if you touch the water or even the bucket with the device plugged in and sitting in the water -- it's a SHOCK!

I know, kind of dangerous. There is so much more I could tell.

Anyway, after 45minutes or so the water is hot and the banya house is a little more comfortable, though I keep my coat on. I pour the hot water into the washing machine -- circa 50's design – add soap and it’s ready for 5minute cycles. All the clothes are washed in the same water (I don’t scoop it out and fill it up after each load, would you?) so I start with the towels (kitchen&bath) then the bed linen and then by color, whites first. The water is black by the end of the third hour. Nathan and his wood/coal activities make their mark and are always the last to go. Thus never getting *clean*, I suppose.

There is then the rinsing cycle – where I dunk them in a separate tub, wringing them out before entry and upon exit to the spinner.

Spinner. This is hard for me because last week the spinner began to lose control. It’s knocking up against the side of itself, making horrible scrapping noises and sparking and smelling. What will I do without a spinner? All these wet clothes in 30 below degree weather?

My neighbors, I note, are still using their clothes lines. But the water doesn’t evaporate, the clothes don’t dry.

They freeze. Like cardboard boxes.

Those are icicles!

5 comments:

Alice said...

I remember doing laundry in a bucket in Afrika and saying I'll never complain about doing laundry in America again. Well, that was 5 years ago and I forgot and I started complaining about having to go to the shared apt. complex laundry room where the creepy old man hangs out. Now, we have our own washer and dryer (I love dryers, my clothes are so much nicer in Switzerland we didn't have one.) So, yes you are awesome and amazing and I vow to never complain about laundry again, but I bet I will because i hate this shore.

vdg family said...

I guess it all works out. What must it feel like to wear a wet cardboard box. I won't complain about my laundromat. :)

Our family said...

One of many reasons why I find it easier to love this country than you... I don't have to go through all that for our laundry!!! Not to mention the coal, wood, and extra cleaning in the house as a result of both! YOu are a trooper!!!

I also have to ask... so what's going on? We are wondering on your status since Nathan's call to Chris. Don't want to be unnecessarily nosey... but.... ;D

vicki said...

Thank you for your example to so many of us in US, and for your friendship with my Almaty children.
I'm Ev's mom and just learned of your blog. Thank you for what you have shared. I will be parusing (misspelled and too lazy/tired to look it up) it over time, taking just a glance today. Merry Christmas!
vicki farrell

Tori said...

I've done laundry in my bathtub - all by hand AND out of necessity, but NEVER in all the extremes you face daily during the winter! You are inspirational. (I'm Evelyn's older sister.)

You're blog is awesome. I'm so glad Evelyn had an opportunity to meet and spend time with you. What a joy for you both, I'm sure!