Sunday, May 25, 2008

Cooking with Luba

I've struggled a bit with cooking.

I have no cookbooks, which I am a bit dependant upon for variety. The foods I'm used to having around are either hard to come by or there's no chance at all. Tahini? Ha! Are you joking? Fresh herbs? Nope. Romaine lettuce? Forget about it. Gummy frogs? Oh! Great, there they are!

Luba knows what she's doing.

Last month they gathered up some sorrel (!) in a huge potato sack from somewhere (the woods) and then brought it home and stemed every leaf.

We're stemming.


Then she washed it and sauted it.


Then she wrapped them in dough and fried them into peroshki's. What was unexpected was that they were sweet and veryveryvery tasty!


I blogged earlier about the color of the eggs. Someone made the cheeky comment that our chickens were eating our non-biodegradable diapers thus the pale colors. But that was before we came -- now things are looking a bit brighter!

Another night I decide to make one of those Russian mayonaise salads with cabbage and various interesting things. Luba saw that I was about to embark upon something perhaps too ambitious and joined me.

We added to our mayonaise:
-shredded cabbage, of course
-shredded carrots
-shredded apples (!)
-corn
-crab meat
-pressed garlic
-green&yellow peppers


mmmm mmmm good! seriously!

No comments: