Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Book Obsessed

It's a magical thing -- reading. I have always been passionate about it.

My friend Laurie, who's casual about reading, made a frenzied call about this book she'd just finished begging, pleading with me to read it. I'm not one to demur a good read, so I got online and had _Twilight_ sent to my local NYPL branch.

I am undermined. I am lost. I AM LOVIN' IT. So, if you haven't read this completely engrossing, drop your life and come aboard series of young adult fiction :::gulp::: queue up. I know it's mania already what with Harry Potter and his final blip in our literary horizons. But file this away, once you can breathe again, and are ready for more obsessive coupling with a good book.

Now I have to promise myself to write sometime about a totally different book that had a totally different affect on me. . . glorious, fresh, and fine literature, Marilynne Robinson's, _Gilead_. Another time. Meanwhile, the giddy, free-spirited girl in me is off to devour the second in the series _New Moon_. Bravo Stephenie Meyers!

So, this has all greatly cut into my blogging time. . . among other things.

6 comments:

Kendra Leigh said...

#3 in the series comes out in August! You have gotten on board just in time- Matt & I have been waiting for *Eclipse* for several months. You can check out stepheniemeyer.com for more exciting info (including a read of the first chapter). Welcome to the vampire club!

Alice said...

First of all, regarding book obsessed...how do you curb the problem I have of reading about 8 books at the same time. I just keep finding new books to read and can't wait to get started, then I end up neglecting other books.

On another note. Yes I'm married. We were best friends for about 3 1/2 years and he came to me one night expressing interest and suggesting we date. 5 mos. later we were engaged and now we're married. Email me and I'll send you a link to wedding photos.

We move to Zurich in Sept. Have you too lived abroad while being married?

aquayellow@gmail.com

-Alice

nyc_ransoms said...

I love the series too! My inlaws intorduced me to them over the Christmas holidays and I devoured them. I'm looking forward to the release of Eclipse next month.

Jones Family said...

ahhh... kendra how come you never told me!! i thought we were friends! ;) but you're right this way it's only a matter of weeks till _eclipse_ is available -- gotta get on the nypl list. ahhh... i surrender. i'm in the middle of _new moon_ now and it's ravenous reading!

alice -- so happy to see you pop up on my blog! zurich?! i'm emailing you right now!

celeste -- over the christmas holidays? in-laws. . .? sounds suspicious. were they trying to get you out of the picture so they could take over your darlingbabes? perhaps that's what mine needed to do, mybabes wouldn't let me out of their collective site!

M said...

Hey Heather--speaking of great books and Harry Potter (who gets a minor mention in this post), I just finished the final book. You got me thinking about being "book obsessed" and what makes a really great novel that you just can't seem to put down. I've got a few thoughts on the blog that you might be interested in. Lots of love woman! Mara

Jones Family said...

ahhh.. mara! great post!
Harry Potter and the Humongous Hype http://easternpoulsens.blogspot.com/2007/07/harry-potter-and-humongous-hype.html