Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Pardon Me Poetry: a personal reprise

Sharbakti Afternoon

We took our stroller
out onto the dusty streets
noses still crusty, paint stains
on his jeans. They are both
wearing their snowboots.

The playground is freshly painted
in primary colors.
The trees are losing their leaves
but the small sour apples
still cling.

The wind is trying to tell me
something – Oh! my daughter
needs to poop!
(potty training, 2nd week)
Too late for the
pink-starred panties.

I take her across the street
trying to obscure ourselves
behind a small facilities building.
It is quiet but for
the wind and my grumbling.

4 comments:

M said...

Heather, I love it! The juxtaposition of the crisp fall beauty and the crusty noses (and the tragic loss of the pink panties) is hilarious and moving. I could see us together on a fall day at Inwood, strolling along, enjoying the beauty and then there's the inevitable kid accident to bring us back to earth.

Andrea said...

Definitely evocative! Reality poetry.... :) carry on poetic one.

see-k-tee said...

you are living my dream :) I know I will come back to this blog anytime I need inspiration :)

Miller Time!!! said...

Love your words Heather.

I noticed Laurie's request to talk politics at the face book wall. wondering about your chat. wishing that we were three on a trip talk talk talking all night together. HOpe all is well. Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzz