Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Desi Candor

When I told Desi it was resttimenaptime one afternoon his response was, “I’m not resting! Aren’t you nuts?”

Zoe! You look just like a girl!

What do I smell that’s excusting?

Run for your lives! That mommy has a toothbrush!

Can we do something fun in Russia liiiiiiiiike. . . . . . build a tent?

Zoe? Do you want to be a peacemaker?

Is that in New Yorkan?
(‘New Yorkan’ is the new standin for English)

After getting scratched away from a big hug he was giving Zoe he cries, “Arghh!! Zoe’s like a cat!”

Dad, did you forget? I don’t speak Russian!

The babes love me to buy these little chocolate eggs that have toys inside. On one unfortunate day, the toy inside Desi’s egg was a little beachgirl and he threw it to the ground in anger saying, “I don’t want a girl toy!” I then proceed to give him my gender-equal-love-lecture and being-grateful-for-what-you-have-lecture when he finally conceded with the following , “It’s ok, it’s ok. It’s ok that I have a girl toy. There’s a boy with a ballerina shirt at my school. So. . . it’s ok, it’s ok.”

Early one morning:
Me: What are you thinking about Des?
Des: I’m thinking about how to get out of Russia.
Me: Get out! Why do you want to get out?
Des: I want to go see Heidi.

Zoe, Do you want to get naked too?

As we were walking past the fields one cold morning, Des points excitedly to a stack of steaming hay, “Look! Hot hay!”

Des has had a runny nose. It seems he resists all instruction to use a tissue over his sleeve – until one day he said, as his nose was oozing, “I know just what to do about my nose!” He then dashes to his clothes cupboard and pulls out the pants he was wearing that day at school. He digs out from the pocket a battered tissue and begins to wipe proudly and says, “A girl from school gave me a tissue.”

Des: Zoe do you want me to kiss you?
Zoe: No
Des: Do you want me to hug you?
Zoe: No
Des: Do you want me to spank your bum?
Zoe: No
Des: Zoe, do you know what ‘spank your bum means’? Does it mean ‘read me a story’?

I'm turning dark and going into the toilet!

After making a funny, senseless sound for a few seconds, Des earnestly turns to me and asks, “Is that a funny memory? Is that going to be a memory for you? Are you writing it down?”

When Zoe grows up will she still be Zoes?

After a nice long cuddle, Desi sighed, "I don't want to grow to a grown up -- I want to stay with mommy. I don't want to leave mommy."

Will you be so happy to see my children? Will you love them? Will you? I'll take them to see their grandma&grandpa everyday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading these! Do you write these down or something? How do you remember?

Jones Family said...

yep -- i have a notebook and run to it immediately after something strange or cute is said and it tallies up till i figure it's time to post!

The Giles said...

Hi Heather. Holy cow, you are having such amazing experiences over there. What an awesome life!

We didn't move to Iowa, Matt is just working at a law firm here for the summer. We go back to DC for one more yr. of law school.