Sunday, June 01, 2008

In Kazakhstan

We’re in KZ for the next month trying to get back into Russia with a new 3month visa. Meanwhile we’re hotel hopping and sightseeing in Pavlodar. Today we ran into our first American family at the fountains as ourbabes were frolicking topless. It’s the first extensive verbal conversation I’ve had with another woman in a real long time. Nice.

Below are some pics of the city. These are highlights – don’t let them fool you into booking your next family vacation to Pavlodar, Kazakhstan.




Getting off the day shift at the Pavlodar Waldorf? Nope. Highschool graduates. Who needs a cap and gown when these little numbers are the rage!


The Russian Orthodox Church. We had a spectacular view from our hotel.

This was the playground in the shadow of the church. Thebabes loved it. I was rather on edge as everything was made of metal from what had to be soviet era, most of the equipment was rusting and jaggedy. The human hamster thing in the center was a big hit, as you can imagine. When the big kids occupied it, we were breathless.

In the same day we marched over the Mosque. Spectacular! It was so exciting to see a mosque again – it’s been since my trip to Dubai in ’98. I love mosques and hope to see several more in KZ and UZ!!
Here’s Des being provoking with his orthodox Jesus icon here on the Mosque premises. Where does he get these ideas?

So, goodbye urban metropolis we’re heading next week to rural KZ to wait out the Russian visa game. Nate’s promised I’ll love the longdrop facilities and bringing in water from the neighborhood well. Anyway, I’m living it up now in our hotel by taking showers everyday again and lounging around in my new housedress purchased at the rynick (bazaar) down the street. I’ve decided it’s cool to be a hausfrau and decided I’d dress like they do here. So comfy and quite liberating! I’m lovin’ it! Nate makes regular trips to the market to get me fizzy water too. He brings it home baby.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

thanks for the great updates...

glad to hear you're living up your "shower" time. I'm actually thinking about purchasing a housedress now! Especially when it's 96 degrees outside today...

missing you guys --

xoxo,
Jess